The main symptoms of a heart attack are:
- chest pain that may feel as if the chest is being squeezed hard and may radiate up into the jaw, down the arms and through to the back
- shortness of breath
- overwhelming anxiety
First Aid Treatment for a heart attack includes:
If you suspect someone is having a heart attack:
- dial 999
- stay with the person until help arrives.
- Keep them in a comfortable position that reduces the amount of work the heart has to do.
- Try to stay calm and help the casualty stay calm too.
- Do not give them anything to eat or drink.
Be prepared to resuscitate if they become unconscious.
For training in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, visit our CPR, Emergency First Aid at Work or First Aid at Work course pages.
The First Aid at Work course also covers heart attack symptoms and treatment in more detail.