01234 308 740 info@hts-training.co.uk

RIDDOR – Reporting of accidents and incidents

riddor-ebook-downloadRiddor is…

RIDDOR is the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995.

Employers, the self-employed and those in control of premises are required by law to report specified workplace incidents, such as work-related deaths, major injuries, 7-day injuries (those causing more than seven day’s inability to carry out normal duties), work related diseases, and dangerous occurrences (near miss accidents).

Legal Requirement

It is a legal requirement to report incidents and ill health at work and the information gathered enables the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) and other agencies to gather the information about how and why risks arise and to investigate serious incidents.

Record Keeping

Keeping suitable and accurate records helps you to identify patterns in accidents and injuries and will help you when undertaking your risk assessments. Furthermore in the event of work related claims, your insurance company will want to see your records.
It is important that employees personal records remain confidential and are stored securely in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.

Companies with more than 10 employees and owners and occupiers of factories, mines, or quarries must have an accident book under social security law.
The accident book can be ordered from The Stationery Office (TSO – formerly HMSO – Her Majesty’s Stationery Office).  Other accident books are available, which can be purchased from a range of book sellers.

Riddor Accident FormHow do I keep RIDDOR records?

Records of any reportable injury, accident, disease or dangerous occurrence must be kept formally, and in an organised manner.
These records can be kept any way you wish for example
• Keeping records in a file
• Keeping the records on computer
• Using the Accident book
• Maintaining a written log

How long must I keep RIDDOR Records?

RIDDOR record books must be kept for a minimum of three years after the date of the last incident in the book. However good practice recommends keeping them for at least 6 years  (5 in Scotland) in order to allow time for any civil litigation to be made.

What information do I need to record?

The records must include the following:

  • The date and method of reporting
  • The date, time and location of the incident
  • Personal details of those involved
  • Brief description of the nature of the disease or occurrence

What type of incident is reportable?

The following things must be reported under RIDDOR:

  • deaths
  • major injuries
  • over-7-day injuries – where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than 7 consecutive days
  • injuries to members of the public or people not at work where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital
  • some work-related diseases
  • dangerous occurrences – where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done
  • Gas Safe registered gas fitters must also report dangerous gas fittings they find, and gas conveyors/suppliers must report some flammable gas incidents.

Not all incidents are reportable but all work activities are regulated by RIDDOR. Incidents must be reported within 10 days of their occurrence.

There are specific regulations affecting different sectors eg construction, catering and hospitality , schools etc. For further details please see the RIDDOR website

How do I Report an incident?

Until 12 September, RIDDOR reporting could be done by telephone, however this system has now changed to an online reporting system via the HSE website.

Only fatalities and major injuries can now be reported by phone to the HSE, from whom help is available for those who have been involved in traumatic situations. All other work related injuries which are reportable under RIDDOR can be reported using one of the new online forms.

These forms are:

  • F2508 Report of an Injury
  • F2508 Report of a Dangerous Occurrence
  • F2508A Report of a Case of Disease
  • OIR9B Report of an Injury Offshore
  • OIR9B Report of a Dangerous Occurrence Offshore
  • F2508G1 Report of a Flammable Gas Incident
  • F25058G2 Report of a Dangerous Gas Fitting

All of the above forms are available from the RIDDOR website.


Information supplied to the HSE under RIDDOR is not passed onto your insurance company. If you feel it is necessary to contact your insurer, you must do so separately, in line with the requirements of your insurer, and your existing policy.

First Aid Training

Accident reporting and RIDDOR requirements are covered during the course of the one day (EFAW)two day (RFAW)and three day (FAW) first aid at work series of training courses.  For more details on the contents of each of these courses, please click on their respective links.

HTS Training offer each of these courses both as public first aid courses in Bedfordshire and other locations, and on customers’ premises.  If you require training, or are unsure of your requirements, please feel free to contact us on 01234 308 740 or email info@hts-training.co.uk.

Thank you for reading this RIDDOR FAQ.  For more FAQ’s please visit our FAQ Home