Just a quick reminder for any of you planning to have a bonfire party this weekend 5th November, to take extra care with fireworks.
Did you know:
Every year in the UK, approximately 1000 people are seriously injured by fireworks, many of them at parties held at home. Most injuries are to the hands and face which can require grafting and lengthy stays in hospital.
To avoid injury, one option is to go to an organised firework display. However, if you are going to hold a bonfire party at home there are few basic things you should remember to do. Above all, follow the firework code:
Young people should watch and enjoy fireworks at a safe distance and follow the safety rules for using sparklers.
Only adults should deal with firework displays and the lighting of fireworks. They should also take care of the safe disposal of fireworks once they have been used.
If you are accidentally injured by a firework the important thing is to cool the area immediately with cold water, and to keep cooling for a Minimum of 10 minutes. This takes the heat out of the wound and prevents further “cooking” of the skin.
Remove jewellery where possible and clothing if it hasn’t stuck. Then wrap the area in clingfilm to keep it clean and protected and seek medical advice.
Lastly, Have Fun But Remember to BE SAFE, NOT SORRY
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)have Safer Fireworks website with lots of useful information about firework safety
The UK Government also has a useful firework safety website, covering firework safety and the law.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.